Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:47:47 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bumper Stickers

At 12:06 AM 3/18/97 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>	Actually...I *believe* that FreeBSD is Jordan's full time job...or,
>at least, that was the impression I got in one of the threads *many* months
>ago...

Wouldn't be a suprize.  Only been on the list for a couple weeks (and
already causing trouble :), so I missed it.  Been using FBSD for.... "many
moons" is about all I draw now.

>	I think this thread got tangented off somewhere...but, then again,
>most do...

It's one of those topics...

>	There have been a few things thought of (t-shirts, bumper stickers,
>the plush toy, etc) that everyone is soooo hesitant of doing cause, woah,
>they might make money off of it and, hrmmm, maybe offend someone?

Reads like we crossed paths a bit.  Let's say someone asks to make
something and it promotes FBSD, great!  They make some profit, great!
After all, some recompense for the time and labor is in order.  As to some
proceeds going to "the Project" that would have to be up to the supplier of
whatever.

I just would not like to see FBSD get commercialized and lose the quality
of the product.  Some day I would not mind contributing in some way, but
60-80 hour weeks steady don't leave me much.  8-)

And I certainly would buy a few t-shirts and maybe a "thing you put on your
bumper" as one station here says.  Of couse a sticker with a daemon on it
would be more fitting on my cycle.

Those in the Bible Belt may have a bit of a dilemma though.  ;-)

>	Stuff like this a) provides advertising and b) could be used
>to finance hardware required to advance the cause (an Alpha server?)

Or code to run on an Alpha?  I heard that either NetBSD or OpenBSD were
"stale" and not really being developed, so....  Hmmm...

I understand that mulitple processor support is a future thing...

AND Alpha support...

YES!

OK time to stop... for now.  8^)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990