Date:      Sat, 27 May 2017 07:26:57 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Subject:   Re: Bug in make setting wrong MAKESYSPATH

> I came across the WiFi router through which dhclient fails to obtain the IP
> address. It sets 0.0.0.0 and it stays this way,

> On the other hand, dhcpcd obtains the IP address almost instantly.

> Other routers mostly don't have such problem.

> Is dhclient not as robust, or outdated as compared to dhcpcd?

> Yuri

NetBSD has both dhclient and dhcpcd.

NetBSD developers say they intend to remove dhclient in the future.

On NetBSD, sometimes dhclient works where dhcpcd doesn't, or vice versa.

In FreeBSD, I see dhclient, but not dhcpcd, is in the base system, while there is a net/dhcpcd port.

NetBSD-current is on dhcpcd 7.0, ahead of FreeBSD ports version.

Comparison of file sizes from NetBSD 7.99.71 (current) i386:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5343688 May 16 14:42 /media/zip0/sbin/dhclient
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     6221 May 16 14:42 /media/zip0/sbin/dhclient-script
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   299176 May 16 14:41 /media/zip0/sbin/dhcpcd

Now I have an incentive to try for myself on other computer (MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard with re (Realtek 8111E/8168 Ethernet chip)).

"dhclient re0" fails to connect, though I can connect by Hiro H50191 USB wireless adapter using rsu driver.

I won't be able to try immediately, because I believe I need to rebuild the system (11.0-STABLE amd64) first, then HEAD on another partition.

Tom