Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:48:30 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: to come from Linux to FreeBSD

Hi,
Reference:

Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> Op 24-8-2011 10:41, Matthew Seaman schreef:
>
> > Virtualization is actually a bit of a tricky thing with FreeBSD.
> > There's Jail, which is excellent -- very light weight, but it only
> > works with FreeBSD guests. There's VirtualBox, but that runs the guest
> > OSes as a standard client application and it tends to be slow
>
> VirtualBox is absolutely not slow. At least not on Solaris nor on
> windows7 boxes. The VB support from FreeBSD is not that good imho. It is
> a lot easier to get it going under linux, windows or solaris. I know,
> fbsd packages do not exist. I wonder why...
>
> > Running FreeBSD as a guest under most virtualization software works well
>
> This is very true, I agree. I've set up a ZFS root system with four
> disks lately to try out before doing so on rela hardware and it worked
> very very well.

I was reading I think it was nebsd-users@betbsd.org a few days back,
quite an interesting thread about para-virtualization support,
it seems NetBSD may have more support support there &/or with Xen.
Best check for yourself though, I'm just a reader.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.