Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2018 12:19:44 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/crypto not being used in 12-STABLE

I have upgraded two physical machines from 11-STABLE to 12-STABLE =
recently (one is 12.0-PRERELEASE r341380 and the other is =
12.0-PRERELEASE r341391). I noticed today that neither machine seems to =
be utilizing /dev/crypto. Typically I see at least ssh/sshd have the =
device open plus some programs from ports. But 'fuser' doesn't list any =
processes on either machine:

# fuser /dev/crypto
/dev/crypto:

Both machines are running custom kernels that include "device crypto" =
and "device cryptodev". One of them additionally has "device aesni".

Is anyone else seeing this? Any idea what would cause it?

Thanks,

JN