Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 22:44:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Subject:   Re: Yowza!

> I seem to remember reading that the L2 cache is in the module but
> still not on the die in the latest 1 GHz chips.

I don't think we have 1GHz chips in stock at the moment. We're
"back-building" 650-700-750-800 as necessary. I'll get some info tomorrow
and post some definite answers. I think that the current 1GHz processors
will be with external L2. In reference to overclockers, the processor
itself is stamped: "K7(speed)(extention)". Speed is 700, 750, etc.
Extension is usually BBA or BCA. Both are functionally the same, but carry
different parts on different boards. The board is built to match the
processor. All new-style modules (L2 inside) end in "DEA". I can tell you
things you can only see with that stupid plastic cover off... :-)

> I'm waiting for them to get it on the die so that it can run at
> full CPU speed! They'll have to do this to stay competitive with
> Intel. Once they do, their chips will really howl.

Part of the equation that lets us build them so quickly is that they can
test out so quickly. A 900 MHz machine does start NT in a hurry. (Which
they are tested under).

-----
<kris@nospam.hiwaay.net>    |