Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 1995 17:06:21
From:      shane@et.pronex.com (Shane Anderson)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   modems revisted

I've got the modem answering dial-up very nicely now, at high speed.

I want to thank you all for your good help and attention.  Once I
got it banged through my head that I needed to init three (not one)
serial devices, the other two being the initial state and locked
state devices, and added these to my rc.serial, everthing went much
better.  (Also added the cua?? devices for good measure and in
anticipation of the next step)

At first I had some spurious chars coming through, but tweaking the
init and the various config files cleared that up. The help with
tip was also invaluable since I found it hard to believe that I
could not init my modem from BSD.

Many, many thanks.  The last question I have on the subject is how
to hang up cleanly.  When I logout from the remote terminal (which
is DOS based - Telix), I get high order garbage which has a
tendancy to lock the DOS term.  Any idea how I might hang up
cleanly without generating garbage?  I seem to recall from my
Waffle days that there was a config item called "strictclose" or
something like that which closed the serial port connection very
strictly in compliance with certain rules (?) and got rid of the
same problem.

Thanks again, a thousand times.  With your good help and pointers it
has been a pleasure...  the 4.4 SMM and Man pages just could not
have ever gotten me there as fast.

BTW, has anyone ever done anything on the order of "A Complete
Idiot's Guide to (Free)BSD"  for the truly remedial?  The O'Reilly
manuals, while certainly useful, assume a certain level of knowledge
that I simply do not have, and they gloss details and subtleties
that I just don't pick up on the first time through.

shane

-----
Shane G. Anderson
Internet:  shane@et.pronex.com