Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 10:49:06 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        adhir@iagi.net, current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help!

>  System:  486dx2/66, 32mb RAM, 512k cache, ASUS SP3G motherboard, using
>  onboard NCR PCI SCSI connected to 2 drives totalling 5 gigs.  Video is
>  ATI Mach32 PCI w 2mb vram.
>
>  Crash description:  Freezes.  No panic messages, just freezes up solid.

we just bought a DEC XL590s with NCR SCSI, 16 MB, Seagate 4 GB drive,
Diamond Stealth , SMC Ultra, GUS sound card (now taken out), and I have
been getting freezes running 2.0-950412-SNAP. I thought it was this machine,
since it is easy to lock the keyboard (require a complete power cycle) with
or without the PS/2 style mouse enabled.

I had it up for over a day with internal and external caches disabled,
but it was soooo slow, I would have shipped it back if I have to run it
this way. Since I have been leaving it in X when I leave at night, for
giggles I left the monitor on and it lasted the night.

I enabled the process accounting so I can tell when it locks and it is
doing anything important - nothing but atrun is being done. I also ran a
simple script that keeps track of output from /usr/sbin/swapinfo to make
we are not exceeding swap, but that was of no help.

I think the key is in the cache settings.

--mark.