Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:17:13 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Geoff Roth <gdroth@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make depend fails

> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:45:40 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Geoff Roth <gdroth@rogers.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>   This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>   while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>   Send mail to mime@docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.
>
> --0-336130530-1028990294=:538
>
> attempting to build a a kernel on a brand new install I get the following
> message with 'make depend'
>
> ===> accf_data
> "/usr/src/sys/modules/accf_data/../../conf/kmod.mk", line 63: Could not
> find bsd.init.mk
> "/usr/src/sys/modules/accf_data/../../conf/kmod.mk", line 190: Could not
> find bsd.links.mk

Geoff,

That method of building the kernel is NOT supported. It usually works,
but, due to the changes made in the .mk files, it won't work across
this change.

cd /usr/src
make kernel

The GENERIC config will be used to build and install the new
kernel. If the kernel configuration is not GENERIC:
make kernel KERNCONF=kernel_config_name

If you don't want the new kernel installed immediately after the
build:
make buildkernel
and, when you want to install it:
make installkernel