Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:00:52 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of synth following expulsion of John Marino?

> On 15 Feb, 2017, at 2:26, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:
>=20
> Expulsion of John Marino was a shocker to me, caught me by surprise.
>=20
> Now my question is what is the status of synth?
>=20
> Should I switch from portmaster to synth?
>=20
> If synth is deprecated or dropped, after I switch from portmaster to =
synth, then I have to switch back, and this would be a monster mess of =
extra work.
>=20
> Not to be inflammatory here, just want to know where I/we stand and =
don't want to go too far off course updating my ports.

I don't recommend portmaster for anybody. It's unmaintained, it already =
causes headaches on upgrades, and even though it works now, it is =
unlikely to keep working as the ports tree evolves.

You should switch to poudriere or Synth. Poudriere is what most of the =
committers use, and it's what all the builder machines use. It's simple =
to set up, and is the reference ports tool. Synth is a great builder =
too, and AFAIK John is still very actively developing it.

# Adam

--=20
Adam Weinberger
adamw@adamw.org