Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:59:06 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd /usr/ports;make clean ...

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 08:08:23PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Periodically, I clean it all out, and I know I've never built anything
> under '/usr/ports/chinese', so why bother cleaning all the dependencies
> for something that hasn't needed it:

So don't download ports/chinese. Add it to your cvsup refuse file, or
however you get it.

The reason the clean target goes through the dependencies is because
it was designed to clean out the dependencies recursively. I don't like
the current cleaning mechanisms much either, and am working on fixing
some of these problems.

Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org> submitted a bsd.port.mk patch a few months
ago that only cleans ports once per `make clean`. The clean-depends patch.
That's part 1. There are other problems to fix, and this (perhaps) is one
of them.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>