Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 14:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        remy@boostworks.com
Cc:        paul@nerdlabs.com, <jdp@polstra.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <kendall@jedis.com>
Subject:   Re: fxp0: SCB timeout

On Tue, 7 May 2002 remy@boostworks.com wrote:

> On  6 May, Paul Dlug wrote:
> >
> > If the general consensus is that adding a PCI NIC and disabling the
> > onboard will fix it, I'll go that route. But I'd rather try to
> > understand what the actual problem is and hopefully get a fix for it.
> > Does anyone have suggestions for further debugging?
> >

> I spent around a week, a month ago, trying to understand the problem. If
> it may help, here is the tale:
>
> The machine is an Intel SCB2 (SMP, ServerWorks HE-SL based) with a 64
> Bits/66Mhz PCI NIC using a 21154BC transparent PCI bridge and two 82559
> A0 revision chips.

Funny you mention the SCB2. The BMC hooks the NIC looking for management
packets on this board (and other IPMI-equipped motherboards).  I've gotten
large numbers of SCB timeouts when communicating with the BMC this way.
So it might just be the NIC is being grabbed for another purpose and the
driver is sensitive to this.

Note I have not seen any performance degredation as a result, although I
haven't done large amounts of testing.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org