Date:      19 Jan 2002 10:56:13 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        Philip Pereira <info@wintellect.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change a FreeBSD clock time

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 10:15:07AM -0000, Philip Pereira wrote:
> > Hey fellow FreeBSD-ers...
> >
> > Anyone know how to change the time on a FreeBSD box? Can't find a man page to support it. Currently it's 1 hour behind
> >
> > In Linux it's a command called 'hwclock' - but this doesn't appear to be so on my FreeBSD box. Please help, it's driving me insane!!!!
> >
> It's called "date", as it is on Linux (and on every Unix in the known
> universe :)
>
> "hwclock" is more to do with reconciling Linux's kernel idea of the
> date/time and the hardwares.

Except that "hwclock" (AKA "clock") can set both CMOS and OS clocks and
he, like I, probably had never used "date" to set time before coming to
FreeBSD.  And even had he done "apropos clock" or "apropos time", he
would not have seen "date" listed.  The Handbook has only an NTP section.

I still haven't seen how to change the CMOS time from FreeBSD, unless
it's buried in all of adjkerntz's words on M$DOS and time zones.