Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:13:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        Richard Puga <puga@mauibuilt.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW/VLAN

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Richard Puga wrote:

> Yes I do have the vlan entry in my kernel. I have tried it with and without.
>
> The MTU of the fxp cards it set to its new default of 1500 (as of 4.4) and
> curiously enough
> can not be set higher as the maximum length of an ether net packet is 1518.
>
> The bridge passes the 802.1q packets just fine and I can view them with
> tcpdump.
>
> it seems that ipfw ignores them, either treating them as a malformed ether
> net packet or one that
> is not ip.. im not sure that's just a guess..
<snip>

Hi Richard,

Keep the vlan stuff in your kernel as it's needed; the number after the
pseudo-device represents how many vlans you want to support.

You should then be able to ifconfig each virtual vlan interface. See "man
ifconfig" and do a search for vlan as you have to set your vlan tag. An
example of the syntax is also given in the updated todo section of number
3 here:

http://www.euitt.upm.es/~pjlobo/fbsdvlan.old.html

You'll probably have to adjust your ipfw ruleset to accomodate these
virtual interfaces so you might want to turn off the firewall first to see
if you can pass the traffic, then adjust your ruleset accordingly.

Good luck,

Dru