Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:22:48 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nForce2 RAID MCP (SATA) support?

--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 01:15:46PM -0700, John Nielsen wrote:
> Hi folks-
>=20
> I'm trying to find out if there is support for integrated nForce2 RAID MC=
P=20
> SATA controller already or planned in the forseeable future.
>=20
> I'm setting up a system with an MSI K7N2 Delta2 Series motherboard.  Boot=
ing=20
> from 5.3-R, the controller is detected as a generic ata controller and ru=
ns=20
> the disks at UDMA33.  I'm actually quite impressed by the hardware even=
=20
> without a specialized driver, but I'd like to know what to expect in term=
s=20
> of support.

This RAID controler requires a software RAID implementation.  We do
support the necessicary RAID functionality, but apparently we don't
support the meta data used by your BIOS.  All your average onboard RAID
system does is allow you to boot from a mirror or strip.  Once you're
booted, it's up to the OS to read the geometry data from the disks and
proceed with software RAID support.  Since there's no standard for the
on-disk metadata, we only support those systems were we've managed to
pry the data out of the manufacture or reverse engineer the format.

-- Brooks

--=20

--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a

--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a--