Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:43:20 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        "Brent Jones" <brent.jones@otago.ac.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: top posting (off-topic)

(Moved to freebsd-chat where it belongs.)

On Nov 22, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Brent Jones wrote:

> I for one prefer top posting, as usually I have read a particular
> thread
> enough times that I like to cut to the chase and read the new input
> without having to scroll down, sometimes navigating an endless nesting
> of >>>

Top posting is the worst format to use for reply. Close 2nd worst is
the no-trim bottom post.

If new content doesn't start somewhere very close to the top then the
sender failed to create a message worth reading. By trimming and
inserting comments in the proper place one creates a semblance to the
alternating back and forth of live conversation.

>   For me, reading through top posted replies saves time and
> effort.  If I happened to miss something in the conversation I can
> scroll down to find it.

Reading from bottom up is painful. Even more painful after a couple
of generations the added quoting and occasional wrapping get thrown in.

There is no excuse to resend the entire thread with every new
contribution, especially when dealing with a mailing list. If you
thought the prior messages were worth keeping then you kept them.
Else you can go online and find them.

The sender bears some responsibility for every word sent, or re-sent.
One should never send a message one has not fully read and proofread.
Top-posters almost never review the bulk they send else they wouldn't
send the unreadable junk. Or at least I'm giving benefit of doubt
that they would not.

> Anyone else feel the same?

No. Heck no.

--