Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:29:47 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interrupt routing issue on Compaq nx6325

As John Baldwin wrote:

> > My current workaround is (for RELENG_6)
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/misc/idlecpu_apic_4.diff
> >
> > (hw.apic.idle_cpu=1 or 2)

> This doesn't sound like his problem.  Joerg, can you get a linux
> dmesg and a freebsd dmesg from the box so I can compare them?

Well, at least Ariff's workaround helped my system as well.  My
only/major concern with it is about the additional power consumption
when running on batteries, but for the time being, I can live with two
different boot modes for this: one that uses HLT and only 1 CPU
(without the APIC) for minimal battery power consumption, and another
one using the APIC and both CPU cores, with HLT disabled.

After reading through the lengthy thread in the PR, yes, most of the
symptoms mentioned there apply to my nx6325 as well.  In particular,
booting into single-user mode, bouncing caps lock a number of times
(so the prompt appears), and starting a background job to eat up one
entire CPU did make the machine work as well (but with certainly worse
impact on power consumption than Ariff's workaround).

I've put the boot messages up at

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/dmesg-nx6325.tar.bz2

What in particular caught my eye in the Linux messages is:

Dec 12 23:33:26 remi kernel: ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
Dec 12 23:33:26 remi kernel: ..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
Dec 12 23:33:26 remi kernel: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
Dec 12 23:33:26 remi kernel: ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ...  failed.
Dec 12 23:33:26 remi kernel: ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... works.

I didn't quite follow the referred to discussion of the Linux kernel
hackers, is the above their workaround, or is that something entirely
different?

What's also strange to me is that on my boss'es nx6325 (BIOS revision
F.02 instead of the F.03 in my machine), the 6.2-BETA3 CD boots
without troubles.  That's not SMP (just the GENERIC kernel), but for
me, even in uniprocessor mode I cannot get it to run unless I disable
the APIC.  I tried using the F.02 revision ACPI AML code, but to no
avail (but in retrospect, I might have forgotten to re-check that with
a GENERIC kernel).

I've also got the F.02 dmesg output somewhere, but unfortunately, it
appears I've lost the USB stick they are supposed to be on. :-(  I
can refetch them from that other machine though, but not before next
week.