Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:09:02 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recent stability problems with fxp driver

At 05:01 PM 12/09/2003, John Polstra wrote:

>When I first installed FreeBSD on this system, it disabled dynamic
>standby mode as you showed above.  Maybe it shouldn't have ... :-)

Is it possible Dell re-enables it somehow in the BIOS ? Perhaps your
version of the NIC needs it disabled a different way ?  Also I found I
needed to physically power off some of the machines for the change to take
effect and also the problem was MUCH more acute at 10baseT than
100BaseTX.  I think jlemon said it was in both modes, but I only ever saw
the problem at 10baseT and like you saw, it didnt take much to force the issue.

         ---Mike