Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:41:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        Jeff Jeter <gsfgf_fbdq@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HDD > 8.4 GB

Well, the root partition holds the kernel, so this has to be in the first
8.4 GB of the disk.

Otherwise, unless the BIOS supports it, the boot loader will not be able
to load the kernel. Once the kernel is loaded, however, it will no longer
use the BIOS to access the disk.

I know that the FreeBSD boot loader can boot past the 8.4 GB boundary, but
unless I am mistaken, it still uses the BIOS for the initial boot.

If I am wrong on this, and the boot loader does not use the BIOS to load
the kernel, then one could get away with placing the /boot partition,
instead of the root partition, in the first 8.4 GB of the disk (1024 cyl).

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the FreeBSD boot loader could
clarify this.

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com
AOL IM: CrackedBoy