Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:41:05 +0200
From:      Oyvind Moll <oyvindmo@orakel.ntnu.no>
To:        Terrence Vergauwen <terrence.vergauwen@coo.vlaanderen.be>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http & ftp proxy server setting for /usr/ports ?

* Terrence Vergauwen <terrence.vergauwen@coo.vlaanderen.be>

| I have recently installed freebsd 4.1 RELEASE on my desktop at work.
| The box is behind a proxy server which proxies http & ftp.
|
| How can i configure my ports tree (/usr/ports/...) to automatically
| fetch files trough the proxy server ?
| I get connect timeouts when i try to make stuff in the ports tree now...
|
| I searched the docs (FAQ's & Handbook), but cannot find anything about
| proxies & ports tree's...

ports uses fetch(1) to fetch the files, and fetch(1) uses libfetch.
The man page for fetch(3) says that it uses the environment variables
HTTP_PROXY and FTP_PROXY if present.

Then, searching in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk reveals that ports can
use a FETCH_ENV variable to specify the environment for fetch(1) used
in ports.

So, you could stick something like this into /etc/make.conf:

FETCH_ENV?=     HTTP_PROXY=bla.bla:1234 FTP_PROXY=foo.bar:4321

Hope that helps.

--
   Øyvind Møll
   oyvindmo@initio.no