Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 2015 07:55:46 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: power off 5V on USB port

El día Tuesday, April 07, 2015 a las 06:56:06PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky escribió:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using an Ubuntu smartphone connected on one of the USB ports to my
> > netbook as a router to the Internet. I wanted to power-off the USB port to
> > a) save energy in the netbook and
> > b) not having the phone always charged for the memory effect in the battery.
> >
> > I tried:
> >
> > $ usbconfig
> > ugen0.3: <AquarisE4.5 BQ> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
> >
> > # usbconfig -d ugen0.3 power_off
> > # usbconfig -d ugen0.3
> > ugen0.3: <AquarisE4.5 BQ> at usbus0, cfg=255 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=OFF (500mA)
> >
> > as you can see the state is now pwr=OFF, but in this state the USB port
> > is not longer usable. What is the correct way to shutdown the 5V
> > provided via USB to the device?
> >

> Not all USB ports support power off.

I will go and look for a cable with type-A receptacle and type-A plug and
will cut the red line of pin 1 to see if this let the phone still asume
that someting is conected on USB to talk with;

btw: the man page usbconfig(8) does not explain what 'power_off' means
at all;

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
"Wenn der Mensch von den Umständen gebildet wird, so muß man die Umstände menschlich bilden."