Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:33:40 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for feedback on a Ports-collection change

At 7:06 PM -0600 1/8/04, Mark Linimon wrote:
>Well, I'd have to say that, despite the merits of the idea,
>there are many more pressing problems facing the ports
>collection than filesize.  My order would be something
>more like:

Well, I have someone to work on this idea, and we would do
our best to make sure that what we're working on would not
disrupt anyone else's work.  He isn't a super-experienced
sysadmin with years of porting experience, so you can't
just give me a wish list of things for him to work on...

I'm going to be paying him, so it's going to be a project that
I feel like spending my money on, or it's nothing.  While I do
like all the goals on your list, none of them are things that
I would pay this particular person for.  He just does not have
the right experience for those projects.  (he doesn't really
have much experience for the project I want him to do, but at
least it's one big project, with a single startup cost, instead
of hundreds of small projects and infinite startup cost).

>1. Fix the remaining ports, if any, that do not deal with
>    the threads metadefinitions, because KSE is scheduled
>    to become the default in 3-4 weeks.

Let me also say that I fully expect that the project I'm
talking about is going to take more than 3-4 weeks before
we would be ready to have *anything* change in the official
ports tree.  No one should change or delay what they are
working on "to wait for" what we're doing.  One of my main
goals is that we (darren and I) should come up with the
tools to do what needs to be done, to minimize the work
that has to be done by everyone else who works on ports.