Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:40:09 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        wilbert.v.vicencio@ac.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT & FreeBSD

wilbert.v.vicencio@ac.com wrote:

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on my laptop with an existing Windows NT
> workstation 4.0.  I could get to boot FreeBSD, but when I try to boot NT
> itself, I get the message "missing or corrupt file: <winnt
> root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe"  is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
> Hope you could help me with this problem.  Thanks.

If you've altered the partition table (which you will have done
installing FreeBSD) the file C:\BOOT.INI will need changing.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation
Version 4.00"
                                 ^
                                 ^
The partition number will need changing, not necessarily just
increasing by one. Try editing it, one number at a time, or copy the
line several times and give each line a different partition number.
Try booting each option until it boots.

HTH