Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2016 08:02:49 -0600
From:      The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>
To:        Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Windows 2016

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 09:02:57AM +0000, Matt Churchyard wrote:
> >I was able to install the Windows 2016 using the GUI method.
>
> >One problem.
>
> >It is assigned an IP but
>
> >the netmask and the default route is not showing up.
>
> >Also  The virtual Windows 2016 box does not see a network interface.
>
> This makes very little sense. You usually specify the netmask and default route when you assign Windows an IP address.
> And how have you assigned the guest an IP address if it has no network interface?

The taps are allocated an IP address.

I fully concur.

In the install at one point, I declare that the IP address, netmask and gateway
are 'declared' at the 'MB ' BIOS interface.

> >What must I do to convince this box that is it on a switch
>
> On the bhyve host it should be configured just like any other bhyve virtual machine. The guest should have a virtio-net device, which is linked to a tap interface on the host. That tap interface should be bridged with whichever physical network adapter you want the guest connected to.
>
> However, I think I mentioned in a previous message that Windows does not have the virtio-net drivers by default. You need to boot the guest with the virtio-net driver ISO attached and install the driver. You should see the interface in Device Manager flagged as not installed/working.

That is correct .

I do have an iso of the MB drivers,

namely a Supermicro  X10DRW-i MB

and

from Intel I did obtain the .exe file for the i350GbE drivers.
I script a 2 phase installation as follows:

1)

/usr/sbin/bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s 3,ahci-cd,./.iso/14393.0.160715-1616.RS1_RELEASE_SERVER_EVAL_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO -s 4,ahci-hd,windows2016.img -s 5,virtio-net,tap15 -s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=800,h=600,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s 31,lpc -l com1,stdio -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd windows2016guest

2)

/usr/sbin/bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s 3,ahci-cd,./.iso/null-install.iso -s 4,ahci-hd,windows2016.img -s 5,virtio-net,tap15 -s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1024,h=768,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s 31,lpc -l com1,/dev/nmdm15A -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd windows2016guest &

As I said, I have picked up an ISO from the MB manufacturer

let's call it manufacturer.iso .

Where do I place said iso in the 'phase' of things?

> Matt
>
> >192.168.0.60
>
> >Thar is handling the default routing to the interent.
>
> >For argument sake  ,
>
> >the Windows server is IP as 192.168.0.68
>

> >I have an ubuntu up at 192.168.0.57
> >a Centos at 192.168.0.54
> >and
> >Fedora at 192.168.0.53
>
> >all running successfully.

http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Time for the USA to hold a referendum on its republic and vote to dissolve!!