Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 09:07:52 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

 wrote:
> Mark Murray wrote in message ID
> <199512210717.JAA28301@grumble.grondar.za>:
> > Ollivier Robert wrote:
> > Er, neither, but I would give my eye teeth to have a good look at either. I
> > have read a bit about the Bletchley Park (sp?) machine, and the mother of a
> > good friend of mine worked there during the war.
>
> Just FYI, Bletchley Park (sp again :-) ) is now open as a museum and I
> believe they are trying to restore the machine that they used to crack
> the ENIGMA code to working order! That would be interesting to see.

WOW!

I was in London in 1990, and had a looong look at the computer section
in the Science Museum.

I have a photo of a reconstruction of Babbage's Difference Engine, the
first in my collection of bits of computer history.

Its getting bigger, but not more prestigious - I need things like Grace
Hopper's first Bug from the Smithsonian, and so on.

In my museum of computer hardware, I have a Commodore PET, original model,
still in working order. Chiclet keyboard, cassette tape and all! Heck,
this computing giant has 3k of ram!

I believe it was powerful enough to calculate the moonshots, but was a
little slow after a while - hence the move to something about as fast as
three Commodore 64's.

(Anybody in ZA reading this who has bits of historical hardware they want
to unload - please give me a shout - I am keen!)

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key