Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:58:13 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jim@carroll.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup and the CVS repository (fwd)

In article <Pine.BSD.3.91.970718163423.29451F-100000@apollo.carroll.com>,
Jim Carroll  <jim@carroll.com> wrote:

>  I have been having a tremendous amount of trouble trying  to  get  the  CVS
>  repository  installed  on  my  system (FreeBSD 2.2.1). CVSup (version 15.1)
>  seems to indicate that it has succeeded (and it does build the list  file),
>  but  it  does  not  create  the CVS repository. By this, I mean it does not
>  create the CVSROOT/ directory needed by the 'cvs' utility.
>
>  Here is my cvsup supfile
>
> 	*default release=cvs tag=.
> [...]

Bleep.  If you want the repository, you must not specify "tag" or
"date" in the supfile.  Specifying "tag" or "date" causes it to
deliver a specific checked out version of each file.

Also:

>       *default base=/usr prefix=/usr

You probably don't want "prefix=/usr" for the repository.  The
"standard" prefix is "/home/ncvs".  If you use "prefix=/usr" it will
put the repository on top of your "/usr/src" tree, which surely is
not what you want.

I'd suggest starting with /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile, and
modifying it if necessary to meet your needs.  Look also at
secure-cvs-supfile in the same directory.

John