Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:05:50 -0900
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg upgrade desaster: Xlib: extension "Generic Event	Extension " missing on display ":0.0".

On Saturday 31 January 2009 15:39:03 O. Hartmann wrote:
> Mel wrote:
> > On Friday 30 January 2009 13:19:41 O. Hartmann wrote:
> >> After upgrading one of my FreeBSD 8.0-CUR/amd64 boxes to new xorg-7.4
> >> and having done hurting recompiling nearly everything/package twice now
> >> firefox3 still doesn't work properly and hits me when starting with this
> >> error message:
> >>
> >> Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
> >>
> >> Then firefox3 freezes forever, showing something like the background or
> >> pixel remnants of windows/picograms moving over its window.
> >
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-October/039134.html
>
> Well, that doesn't help very much. As R. Noland wrote, the error coming
> up isn't of any harm.
>
> I still have Firefox3 not working on a FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT/AMD64 UP box,
> running the most recent FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT and having now recompiled
> three time EVERYTHING, Firefox3 inclusive. Firefox3 is still stuck when
> it comes to pulldown menus or requester for download destination, eating
> up 100% CPU time and slowing down the box incredible. I pretty sure I
> have all the stuff of the X11 suite in the right place and the right
> revision number, as I said, I recompiled everything three times and I
> did several attempts upgrading the whole Xorg since sunday last week.

You have 2 choices:
- revert to known working xorg-server-1.4 (xorg 7.3)
- try to debug this using the send-pr system, given the ammount of problems
people are posting with this xorg-server, more datapoints are not a bad
thing.

As a sidenote, it would be nice if xorg-server14 port would be created till
the dust has settled.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.