Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:13:04 +0100
From:      "Dampure, Pierre Y." <pierre.dampure@alveley.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Oddities

"Dampure, Pierre Y." wrote:

> Apologies if this ought to be in -questions rather than -current, but
> since I first noticed the problem on 5.0-20000621-CURRENT...
>
> The above snapshot was installed on a brand new system (OR840, 2x733EB,
> 512MB RDRAM, 1xAHA2940UW, 4x9.1Gb Barracuda). The disk organisation is
> as follows:
>
>         da0:    one NTFS partition (W2K), FreeBSD multiboot MBR installed
>         da1:    fully dedicated, FreeBSD, has the root partition (da1s1a)
>         da2:    fully dedicated, FreeBSD
>         da3:    fully dedicated, FreeBSD
>
> Since this is a recent snapshot, I assume it defaults to use loader(8).
>
> When the system boots, I get the usual F1/F5 choice, as follows:
>
>         F1      ??
>         F5      Drive 1
>
>         Default: F5
>
> Selecting F5 (or letting the timer run to completion) leads to the
> following:
>
>         Disk error 0x1 (lba=0xe0040)
>         No /boot/loader
>
>         >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
>         Default: 1:da(1,a)/kernel
>         boot:
>
> then proceeding to load /kernel, rather than /boot/loader (which is why
> I posted about problems with nlist (aka top/vmstat/systat) a few days
> ago).
>
> If I hit a key early enough, I get:
>
>         >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
>         Default: 1:da(1,a)/boot/loader
>         boot:
>
> Hitting RETURN then leads to:
>
>         Disk error 0x1 (lba=0xe0040)
>         No /boot/loader
>
> after which I need to enter 1:da(1,a)/kernel to proceed.
>
> Needless to say, /boot/loader IS on da1s1a (with its usual assortment of
> .rc and .conf in required places), which is why I am a bit surprised.
>
> Can anyone shed a light on the above? I now know how to get around the
> nlist issue, but this is not the recommended method...
>
> Configuration files available upon request.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> PYD

FWIW, I DID have a look at the archives before posting... the only
thread that looks remotely related is:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3392426+3394340+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-current/19990509.freebsd-current

but this is in the case of IDE drives, not SCSI... CAM reports my drives
as having a (255H 63S/T 1106C) geometry, so even with a 512Mb root
partition I am still under the 1023 cylinders limit (if even applicable
to SCSI devices).

Best Regards,

PYD