Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:14:45 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>, ticso@cicely.de, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange netstat -ian output

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:58:04AM +0900, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> Hi,

> > Yes, it is the internal scope address representation of the KAME IPv6
> > stack.  It is hided in the output of 'netstat -rn'.  But, it seems not
> > for `netstat -ani'.  There is no reason to not hide it for `netstat
> > -ani', IMHO.  So, I've just committed to hide it:
> >
> > 	http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=217642
>
> bzeeb> Thanks; there's also a PR somewhere about it from today or yesterday.
>
> Oops, I didn't notice the PR.  Thank you for letting me it.  I've just
> closed it.
>
> bzeeb> The real problem of course is that those things are still queried by
> bzeeb> kvm(3) rather than by a real interface in which case I think the
> bzeeb> kernel shouldn't export the addresses with the scope embedded.  We
> bzeeb> should make sure that with libnetstat or whatever, this will not come
> bzeeb> back.
>
> Yes, I think so, too.  The addresses with the scope embedded is
> annoyance.

Petr Lampa - who opened the PR - explained me provately about the
embedded scope.
However I still think this collides with RFC3306 addresses.

The other point discussed with Petr Lampa is about the
ff02::2:xxxx:xxxx addresses.
However the addresses are different than defined in RFC4620, where
they have the format ff02::2:ffxx:xxxx.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de