Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:14:53 +0100
From:      "Rick Hoppe" <mailing@rickhoppe.nl>
To:        "Doug Hardie" <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftp does not work (was: ftp from behind firewall to internet works on XP not on FreeBSD ?)

> >But on a FreeBSD client this does not seem to work. The ftp client on my
> >FreeBSD client seems to know to which port is must connect, but the
> >NAT-proxy and firewall does not allow it when it tries to. So the 'ls'
> >command does not work, but 'cd' and 'pwd' do.
>
> Check the settings for passive mode.  The FreeBSD client usually
> defaults to passive mode.  Others generally don't.
> --
> -- Doug

Nope, that is not the problem. It's not a problematic passive or active ftp
situation I've got here.

I've tested on ftp.freebsd.org with the telnet command (on my FreeBSD
client) using the very handy examples on
http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/telnet.testing.HOWTO
The example instructed to open one telnet session that should be used to
enter passive mode and query a command like NLST (ls). Next I opened a
second telnet session to the port of ftp.freebsd.org that was calculated
from the numbers I received back when I entered passive mode. The second
telnet session immediatly showed the directory listing of ftp.freebsd.org
what I requested in the first telnet session. So this is very basic ftp
testing using the telnet command on my FreeBSD client (and using passive
mode!).

So why does the FreeBSD base ftp client doesn't work? I've also posted this
problem to the IPFILTER mailinglist because I thought it could be a
configuraton problem of mine. Someone suggested on that list that it may be
caused by FreeBSD's ftp client, so that IPNAT's ftp proxy can not parse
correctly.

So it looks like the FreeBSD ftp client puts something in the packets that
IPNAT ftp proxy doesn't understand. Question is if the FreeBSD ftp client is
doing something wrong, or IPNAT?

Regards,

Rick Hoppe
Xtraxion Internet