Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:32:45 -0400
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        Ian FREISLICH <ianf@clue.co.za>
Cc:        pf@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: packet forwarding/firewall performance question

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Ian FREISLICH <ianf@clue.co.za> wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Tom Uffner wrote:
> >
> > > i'm hoping a few people will give me estimates on what kind of
> > > throughput i should theoretically expect before i provide any actual
> > > test data. also, any suggestions on tuning would be welcome.

I havn't tried 800Mhz hardware, but I have extensive experience with the
266Mhz c3 in the WRAP board for comparison.  The 266 Mhz part has no
heatsink, but I've found it to be flakey in "hot" environments if a heatsink
is not rigged to it.

So... the WRAP boards have 3 "sis" interfaces.  With various combinations of
usage, one can expect 30 megabit of average sized packets if they kernel is
doing the passing.  This makes the board an adequate wireless bridge.  If
userland is doing the packet passing (pppd vs. mpd as a DSL router), I've
had trouble getting more than about 10 megabit through the unit.  This makes
it an adequate DSL router but poor for aggregating multiple links.