Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 04:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      A Ling <fbsd2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   help with portupgrade portupgrade mess?

If I'd known I'd have troubles, I'd have kept a
careful log of which errors occured under which
conditions.  Unfortunately, I tried what seemed
obvious after looking at the man pages and message
archives, so the following is a reconstruction from
memory.

After doing 'portupgrade portupgrade', I got
 /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:34:in `require': No such
file to load --
optparse (LoadError)

After cvsup-ing ports, portsdb -uU and various
portupgrade -r ruby portupgrade machinations, I
started getting
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg
... - 266
packages found (-1 +2) (...)Cannot allocate memory:
Cannot update the
pkgdb!]

After searching the message archives and make
deinstall; make clean; make reinstall of ruby* and
portupgrade, I got memory allocation errors like this
# pkgdb -u
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg
... - 187 packages found (-4 +4)
(...)/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb:435:in
`each': tried to allocate too big memory
(NoMemoryError)
        from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb:435:in
`select'
        from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb:435:in
`update_db'
        from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:201:in `main'
        from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:61:in `initialize'
        from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:61:in `new'
        from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:61:in `main'
        from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:914

   I also updated to the latest stable world from
yesterday (previously from 4 August) to no avail.
Login.conf limits are untouched by me, and the current

packages include
# pkg_info -aI | egrep 'ruby|portup' | col1
portupgrade-20020921.1
ruby-1.6.7.2002.09.12
ruby-bdb1-0.1.7
ruby-shim-ruby18-1.7.3.2002.09.20

   Anyone recognize this or have suggestions?