Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 16:57:23 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can NMI drop a hanging FreeBSD kernel into DDB?

In message <00May11.070143est.115219@border.alcanet.com.au> Peter Jeremy writes:
: I thought the PCI bus was isolated from the CPU<->memory bus so this
: couldn't occur.  The trap handler should start OK, but just can't do
: any I/O because the PCI bus is hung.

I'm not sure why things happen this way.  I just know that I've not
been able to get a NMI to break into the debugger when certain
hardware that I've worked on in the past when it desided to hang.  I
don't know if that's because this also hung the host bridge so that no
interrupt code could fetch it from memory, or what the deal was.

Warner