Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:56:38 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        ckwen <ckwen@eembox.ee.ncku.edu.tw>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fiber network adapter ?

Jason Thorpe wrote:

> DFE-500FX isn't an FDDI card.  It's a 100base-FX card.
>
> He was even quite clear in his message that he was looking for
> "fiber ethernet".

Er, oops.  Sorry, I kind of have FDDI on the brain today.

> It's probably based on the Tulip (considering that the DFE-500TX was),
> and should work with the `de' driver in both NetBSD and FreeBSD, and
> possibly also the `tlp' driver in NetBSD (which is a rewritten-from-scratch
> unified driver that supports the Tulip and the Tulip clone clips).

According to http://www.megabyte.de/Megabyte/3316.htm it contains a
21140.  The `de' driver does indeed support 100Base-FX media:

        case TULIP_MEDIA_100BASEFX:
        case TULIP_MEDIA_100BASET4:
        case TULIP_MEDIA_100BASETX: {

So it looks like this card should be a go.  Let me know if you need a
good switch to plug it into.  ;^)

Thanks for the "boot to the head" Jason.