Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:19:34 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-STABLE hangs after several hours ...

Hi,

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Juergen Lock wrote:

> First, you don't need the kernel debugger to check a hung processes
> wchan, a ps -l will show it as well.  (as does a ^t on its control tty,
> if it has one)

 I can't, the machine is completely frozen (not even ping/telnet
response) I can only see the frozen screensaver...

> >  anyone care to point me out some documentatin suited to my
> > situation (kernel debugging on production machines) ?

[ THX for the info, I'll need it... ]

> >  I checked out the previous threads and my situation appears to be similar
> > to those described in the "On freezes in 3.2-stable" thread, although I
> > have only 128Mb of RAM and UP kernel; see the attached dmesg output for
> > more details...
> >
> >  Let me tell you how it worked for me:
> >
> >   * I had an uptime of more than 13 hours with Juergen's patch, but that's
> >     not so conclusive, as these freezes tend to be somewhat random
> >
> >   * When I saw your commit I reverted the patch, cvsupped and rebuilt the
> >     kernel; the machine hung up some 7-8 hours later ...
> >
>  with the atomic.h fix (which alc mailed me) i cannot reproduce the
> hang anymore, at least the way i could with the broken kernels.
> so i would _guess_ that this hang you got had a different cause
> and it would be interesting to know what it was...

 Well, well: I have both the atomic.h fix and the vm_object.h patch
applied, but the machine keeps freezing on high loads (it seems). I guess
I have to start checking again the hardware and jump on the debugging
stick...

> >  I really don't know what to blame, kernel bug or faulty hardware; one
> > thing I can be sure about is that the machine has been rock stable until
> > I've started to track -STABLE from 3.1-RELEASE somtime around 6th August.
>
>  All -stable kernels after Jul 28 showed the hangs for me.

 Hmmm, sometimes I really wonder if downgrading to a pre-August
world/kernel wouldn't be a good ideea...

>  Regards,
> --
> Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
> (remove dot foo from address to reply)