Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2017 03:48:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E9gory_Reinbold?= <gregory@nosheep.fr>
Subject:   Has anyone had any success installing VirtualBox extension pack under FreeBSD ?

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 686, Issue 4, Message: 15
On 26 Jul 2017 09:16:47 +0000 Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com> wrote:

 > I would, possibly like many others, like to install VirtualBox extension
 > pack under FreeBSD. Currently, the VB::USB situation is so messy that no
 > device other than keyboard/mouse work, not even as OHCI.
 >
 > I tried to open a discussion for this at VB forums :
 >
 > https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83928
 >
 > There response is so pathetic that it essentially leaves no hope.

Manish, on the contrary .. the responses there, especially by socratis,
were informative and polite, considering people were gently trying to
tell you that you were altogether barking up the wrong tree.

After 3 days, socratis yesterday concluded, still politely, with:

:  1. Once again, the ExtPack is not platform specific.
:  2. The ExtPack is proprietary, closed source.
:  3. Talk to the FreeBSD folks about your issues. We can do absolutely
:     nothing.
:  4. Repetition is not my favorite sport, so I'll stop contributing to
:     this thread at this point.

 > The only hope seems to be hacking the extension packing with the
 > Linuxulator, getting the extension pack to think that the OS actually is
 > Linux. Has anyone had any success with such an approach / something else ?

Have you discussed the options with the FreeBSD vbox port developer/s?

Or searched the freebsd-virtualisation@ archives for such information?

Grégory Reinbold <gregory@nosheep.fr> since pointed you to:

 > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-guest-virtualbox.html

but as you're running vbox on a FreeBSD host you want the next page:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-host-virtualbox.html

which clearly states:

  Currently, these extensions are not available for FreeBSD.

and:

  21.6.2. VirtualBox? USB Support

  The VirtualBox? extension pack is not available for FreeBSD hosts.
  Without the extension pack, the FreeBSD host cannot pass USB ports
  through to guest operating systems.

So again, it's the FreeBSD vbox folks you need to be asking about this.

FWIW: I know next to nothing about virtualbox, but know how to find out
who and where to ask, should I have the need.  Happy hunting ..

cheers, Ian