Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:36:39 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, idiotbg@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: atapicam and cd-rw problem, no cd0 but acd0 some error

Joe Altman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 12:00:22PM +0000, freebsd-stable-request@freebsd.org wrote:
>
>>   13. atapicam and cd-rw problem, no cd0 but acd0 some error
>>       (Momchil Ivanov)
>>   22. Re: atapicam and cd-rw problem, no cd0 but acd0 some error
>>       (Tom Evans)
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 13
>> Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:34:19 +0200
>> From: Momchil Ivanov <idiotbg@gmail.com>
>> Subject: atapicam and cd-rw problem, no cd0 but acd0 some error
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am running  6-STABLE as of today and I cannot use the CD-RW on my IBM T40 to
>> burn CDs. When I put atapicam_load="YES" in loader.conf or compile it in the
>> kernel I see the following error
>> acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00 sks=0x40 0x00 0x01
>> and no /dev/cd0 is created. I don`t see the above error without atapicam
>> loaded or in kernel. This is not something new, I haven`t been able to
>> get /dev/cd0 since more than a month following 6-STABLE, don`t know if it
>> ever worked on 6 or 6.x, but I certainly cannot get it to work on 6-STABLE.
>> Any help would be appreciated :) I would be happy ot be able to burn CDs.
>>
>> I have acd0: CDRW <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R9012/1121> at ata1-master UDMA33
>> and camcontrol shows:
>> <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R9012 1121>    at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass1)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 22
>> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:42:20 +0100
>> From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
>> Subject: Re: atapicam and cd-rw problem, no cd0 but acd0 some error
>>
>> The error message is benign - the controller tries to send a command to
>
> If it's benign, then why does this occur with the error message
> (quoting the OP):
>
> "...I haven`t been able to get /dev/cd0 since more than a month
> following 6-STABLE, don`t know if it ever worked on 6 or 6.x, but I
> certainly cannot get it to work on 6-STABLE. Any help would be
> appreciated :) I would be happy ot be able to burn CDs."
>
> Which says to me that his drive doesn't work with atapicam in his
> kernel, and has not worked for at least one month. This was my
> experience, until I removed atapicam from my kernel.
>
> To the OP: I recommend removing atapicam as a device from your kernel
> config; this remedied the issue for me. I could not use my Plextor,
> at all, with atapicam as a device in my kernel config.

The atapicam problems were extensively discussed on this list last
month.  Other than the one person on this thread whose problem was
traced to not having the right drivers in the kernel, most problems
are simply design limitations of the current system.

The design problems are being remedied.

No, I do not need people to volunteer to test the code.  When I do, it
will not be a secret.

No, it's not ready yet, and it won't be ready for several months.

Scott