Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:59:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What laptop should I buy?

> >Sure it's a geek fashion statement, but I get far more useful work
> >done on my VAIO than I have on any of my previous laptops.  Being
> >light, I'm actually willing to take it places, for one thing. :)
>
> Ever since I got the first "critter" in 1994, it has been obvious
> to me, that the weight is a far more important parameter in a laptop
> than screen resolution or battery life.

Agreed.

> After all, if you didn't bring your laptop with you because it was
> to heavy, what difference will screen size make for you ?

*grin*

> My current H-P Omnibook 800 is getting a bit tight around my
> shoulders and I'm contemplating an upgrade, currently I think the
> H-P Omnibook 900 is a strong candidate, but if anybody has any good
> recommendation for machines in the 2kg (4 lbs) class I'm all ears.

No suprise here, but the IBM 570 should be a contender.  And, if you
don't mind another pound (I don't), the 5lb 600E is highly recommended
as well.  I own the latter (bought my own recently), and had the
previous model of the 570 (560) at my former employer.

I *love* IBM Thinkpads.  Unfortunately, they're a bit spendy, but IMO
well worth it in terms or ruggedness and the best keyboard of any
laptop.

(Plus, they don't use those silly touch-pads...)

Nate