Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:27:05 -0700
From:      "Michael Wells" <mwvw@adelphia.net>
To:        "Michael Wells" <mwvw@adelphia.net>, "Andrew Boothman" <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Failure

> > Michael Wells wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I am getting a bunch of link errors when I try
> > >and rebuild my kernel.  I just did cvsup and a
> > >make build/install world and was trying to rebuild the kernel
> > >as suggested.  I didn't make any changes to
> > >the kernel but it started complaining about things
> > >it never had before.  It was complaining about devices
> > >that didn't exist on my system (raid stuff) so I removed
> > >them.  The build seems to go fine until link time.
> > >I am attaching the link part of the output.  If any
> > >one has ideas I would appreciate your input greatly!
> > >

> > This kind of problem is exactly why it is generally recommened that you
> > buildworld and buildkernel before installkernel-ing and installworld-ing
> > and finally mergemaster. It sound like your system is currently running
> > a mismatched kernel and world? This is often the cause of problems. My
> > preferred order is
> >
> > make buildworld
> > make buildkernel
> > make installkernel
> > reboot into single-user (ensure new kernel boots correctly)
> > make installworld
> > mergemaster
> > reboot
> >
> > Anyway, with reguard to your spacific problem - you don't tell us what
> > version of FreeBSD you cvsuped to? If it is a development branch
> > (-current or -stable) then those lists are likely to have the best
> > people to answer your question. If it is a -RELEASE then you clearly
> > have something else going on....
> >
> > Andrew.
> >
> Yikes, I made a really stupid mistake.  My Cvsup file had the 4_5 tag
> instead
> of the 4_6!  Crossing my fingers and hoping I can pull out of this one.

Well I am not having an easy time with this one.  I am following the "What
is something
goes wrong" section of the handbook.  I cusp's my files with the correct
tag,
but I wonder if it's to late? unnamed -a reports Frees 4.6 #4, but this was
after
I made build after cvsuping the wrong files (4_5).  I am currently not able
to build with the "correct" source.  It seems to be failing in the modules
section
particularly Pam_ssh.  I say seems because I tried to capture the output but
it was huge and wouldn't save.  (there is a command that will only write the
last number of lines you specify, but I don't know it at the moment).  Well
I am
determined to rescue this system just because I think it's a good exercise.
I am
not particularly worried about the data (why I don't have a backup) as it's
only
been up a week anyways.  Anyone have some ideas?  THANKS!!