Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:26:17 +0200
From:      Thomas Stratmann <strattbo@fsp1.physik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   moused in man and realita - ps/2 vs auto w/ wheel

Hi everyone,

I finally figured out how to set up my confs for my wheel button mouse - I wanted moused(8) to do the z-axis mapping and the X server to see five buttons. It took a whole lot of time due to misleading manpage (or a bug in the binary?). But slowly.

I run recent (~ 3 weeks or so) stable code. My mouse is a
M$ IntelliMouse PS/2 compatible. Running moused -i all -p /dev/psm0 gave

/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse IntelliMouse

The moused command line which finally did the trick is

moused -t auto -p /dev/psm0 -z 4

whereas the manpage suggested using "-t ps/2":
  For the PS/2 mouse:
    ps/2  This is the only protocol type available for the
          PS/2 mouse and should be specified for any PS/2
          mice, regardless of the brand.
Using "moused -t ps/2 -p /dev/psm0 -z 4" would, however, not issue any wheel
events. (I played around in gdb and believe to know that the point is whether
mouse(4) or sysmouse(4) protocol is used. Maybe wrong here)

So, this is either undesired moused(8) behaviour or bad documentation on the manpage. Please let me know if I'm missing something here, or if this is a point. If so, maybe some contributor listens? (Or, should I open a PR?)

Happy discussing,  ;-)
Thomas

thomas.stratmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de