Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2013 00:42:35 +0400
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipfilter pre-Vendor Import Issue

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:49:36PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
J> Let's not make ipfilter some random one-off vendor source that imports code
J> into random places.  The remaining instances of that that we have (such as
J> stdtime) are a PITA to deal with.
J>
J> vendor/ipfilter == userland bits => contrib/ipfilter.  You then put suitable
J> Makefiles/build glue that uses .PATH in usr.bin|sbin|whatever.
J>
J> vendor-sys/ipfilter == kernel bits => sys/contrib/ipfilter.  You then fix
J> sys/conf/files, etc. as appropriate.
J>
J> This is our _standard_ practice for dealing with this stuff.  This is how all
J> the OpenSolaris bits for Dtrace and ZFS are handled (except that they end up
J> in a cddl directory instead of contrib).  GENERIC / LINT builds can include
J> things from sys/contrib just fine, so ipfilter won't be missed by builds, etc.

Okay, let it be so.

My initial intention was to "own" ipfilter by FreeBSD, since for the
last years it was unmaintained, and its contrib status prevented people
from touching its sources.

Now, that Darren responded on this thread and promises to take our
patches upstream, I am fine with having it in contrib.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.