Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:25:00 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj and releases

On Saturday 10 June 2006 08:54, Colin Percival wrote:
> In src/etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist, it says that /usr/obj should exist:
>     41 obj             nochange
> However, in src/release/Makefile, the doTARBALL specifically avoids
> putting /usr/obj into a tarball, with the result that it will not
> be extracted during release installation:
>   1114 tar --exclude CVS --exclude obj --exclude BOOTMFS -cf - ${ARG} | \
>=20
> This discrepancy has existed since March 1995, so I'm guessing that
> it isn't a mistake -- but can someone explain the reason for this?

Probably because not all boxes need /usr/obj.  /usr/ports doesn't exist
after a new install (if you don't install the ports tarball) either.
Ask phk@ as he added the change. :)

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org