Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:14:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stan Brown" <stanb@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   HELP! softupdates filesystem fails fsck!

I have a machien that has been runing for a long time with a large quantity
of data on it (It's a webserver). It's running 3.4 STABLE (yes I know I
should have updateetd).

It crashed, and on the way up when it tried to run fsck on the /var
partition (IDE drive) it failed.

I went inot single user and tries to run:

fsck -y /dev//wd0s1e

I got a buch of correctinos, nut it finally stoped with.

fsck: Cannot find inode 252

What can I do to get this system up long enough to get the data off of it?

Is it likely this is a genuine disk problem, or is it possible this is a
softupdates problem?

This partiton BTW is /var, so I'm hoping the /usr partiton, where the data
is is recoverable!

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin