Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:20:21 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, mckay@thehub.com.au, obrien@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unmoronify CVS

On Wednesday, 13th March 2002, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

>To summarize, val-tags saves a little time in a small number of cases,
>is useless in most cases, and outright harmful in many common cases.

Val-tags has caused me nothing but irritation.  It has never assisted
me in any way.  It deserves to die.  Who here is helped by val-tags?
It seems to be just plain wrong from the day it was added.

>And all this is a waste of my time; rather than ask why I want it
>removed, you should accept that I (and many others) consider it an
>incredible nuisance, and focus instead on explaining how *you* benefit
>from it, so we can understand why you're opposed to my patch.

That's not the normal way to go about things.  Normally you explain
why changing things is a good idea.  Sort of an "innocent until proven
guilty" idea.  Once you've got a good argument *for* changing things
it's time to look for arguments *against* changing it, not the other
way round.

But that little nit aside (which, let's face it, got up some people's
noses), I fully agree with your argument.  I'm frankly surprised you
had to spell it all out.  I expected a chorus of "Hell yeah!" and
a quick commit.

Stephen.