Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 2015 06:54:13 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to get printer functional after successful CUPS test page ?

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:19:22 +0100, Manish Jain stated:

> Hi,
>
> I have an HP M1005 LaserJet printer on FreeBSD 10.1 amd64. After plenty of
> haggling, I managed to get it print a test page under CUPS.
>
> The USB printer's details are as under :
>
> hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_M1005?serial=KJ3AZFA
> http://localhost:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_M1005
>
> My local IP is 192.168.10.101
> In my next level of graduation, I have to get it to print directly from
> clients :
>
> 1) on the local system, mostly GNOME. Current clients have only have 2
> options in the Print dialog : Print To File and Print To LPR. Something
> needs to be done beyond the handbook mandate to make clients realize there
> is something called CUPS too
>
> 2) On the network, mostly Windows boxes. I tried adding
> http://192.168.10.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_M1005 as a network printer
> using Windows' all-powerful Add A Printer tool. The tool however complains
> that it could not find the printer.
>
> My /usr/local/etc/cups/client.conf has the following line :
>
> ServerName 192.168.10.101
>
> Any help to make the printer fully functional will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Manish Jain

I had a problem awhile ago a wireless printer to my Microsoft/FreeBSD
environment. Windows usually had no problem, FreeBSD with CUPS usually
failed. I finally gave the printer a static IP set up in my router. I then
shut down the entire system and printer, rebooted and checked to see what the
printer reported as its IP. MS Windows now found the printer and offered to
install a driver for it. CUPS took more manual coaching, but I was able to
get it to see and print to the printer.

HTH

--
Jerry