Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:22:38 +0100
From:      Peter Hollaubek <fifteen@inext.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network stalls with 4.5

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:34:18 +0100 (MET)
Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org> wrote:

> I updated my box to RELENG_4 yesterday (19-march) and just after the
> upgrade, I saw a network stall while logging in with ssh from my
> solaris box, I think the problem is defintely on the server end.
>
> Should I have cvsup'ed RELENG_4_5?

I've also noticed some sort of network stall since 4.5-RC. The machine's a
gateway between a 128k leased line and an office LAN. The stange part is
that it only happens between FreeBSDs. If I try to donwload to a Windows or
linux machine behind the gateway from any kind of server,  or from anything
other than FreeBSD to my FreeBSD desktop system everything's OK, but if
both are BSDs, it starts downloading, then stops, then starts again at about
a quarter bandwidth, and so on. I've tried it with xfree86.org, ftp.fsn.hu, and
with some of my other servers and it's the same all the time. I've upgraded
to stable cvs several times (now it;s 4.5-STABLE), changed the network card,
but it didn't get any better.

fif