Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:14:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Subject:   Re: XF86-4 on TP560?

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:57:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To: freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: "[X-UNKNOWN] Eric Hedstrm" <erich@ucsd.edu>,
     Martin Power <m.d.power@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: ibm thinkpad portables

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Martin Power wrote:

> please send archives copy or how to access.  my thinkpad 560x works
> passibly well
> with debian 2.2 linux as a personal desktop.  will it work at all or
> better with freeBsd 4.x ?
> thanks

I have a 560e that works great.  XFree86 3.3.6 took a little bit of time
and googling to get the resolution right (Trident video), but it works.
Sound (SounBlaster 16) was simple, I just had to use the PS2.EXE utility
to find out the correct resouses to configure the kernel.  This model does
not have an internal NIC or modem, so I don't know about any problems you
might have with those.  FYI, for PCMCIA cards I have a 3Com Etherlink III
(3C589D) NIC, USRobotics Megahertz 33.6 modem, and a Lucent Orinoco Silver
wireless card.

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Eric Hedstrm wrote:

> It runs quite well with XFree86 3.3.6; I haven't tried X
> 4.x.

I don't know if this applies to the whole 560 series, or just the 560e,
but there is a thread in the XFree86-developers archive regarding problems
with this model of a ThinkPad and 4.x.  I think the discussion ended with
something in the IBM BIOS not letting XFree86 talk to the vidoe card
properly.  Either way, 4.x will not work on the 560e.  I tried it for a
good week before going back to 3.3.6.

Hope this helps.