Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:16:10 +0200
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dhaneshk k <dhaneshkk@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: cant login to my server machine(FreeBSD-6.0)

On Monday 13 November 2006 16:32, dhaneshk k wrote:
> But I tried to create the new /etc/rc.conf file   by the following method
>
>   #mount -o rw,remount/
>   #cat >/etc/rc.conf

you can remount rw like this:
mount -u -w /
then use an editor to correct /etc/rc.conf

there is also /rescue which might be helpful(vi lives
there).

also "mount -t ufs-a -u -w" might be handy, which
will remount read-write all your ufs filesystems, so
everything will available(vi, ee etc)

You also need to boot in single user and fsck
your filesystems. I would do this step first.

HTH, Nikos