Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:36:48 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, lev@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stateless dhcp6 server for FreeBSD?

Hello, J.R..
You wrote 21 =E0=EF=F0=E5=EB=FF 2011 =E3., 18:53:56:

>>   I need only distribute IPv6 DNS server addresses to clients, but not
>>  prefixes or address information.
> DHCP is stateful.  If you want stateless, you need IPv6 RDNSS router
> advertisements.
  Information-Request message doesn't need state on server side. And
IPv6 RDNSS is good thing, but doesn't supported by Windows (yet?)...
:(

> Since you just want to send DNS info and not prefixes, you can use these
> patches in rtadvd and just configure rdnss info and no prefix info.
  I want to advertise Prefixes and routes via pure IPv6 mechanisms
(rtadv), as it supported by all known IPv6-enabled systems. And DNS
needs DHCPv6 for Windows clients :(

> I've since filed a PR
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D156259)
> to have this reviewed and committed.
   Great! I looks like very valuable addition to FreeBSD, but,
unfortunately, it doesn't help client Windows machines in any way :(

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>