Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:39:06 -0400
From:      Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe@goodking.org>
To:        ruby@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Time to mark lang/ruby18 DEPRECATED

--4dIe/AmYstFUGHTF

Good afternoon list!

I set out this morning to do a big rmport on the ruby* ports that were
marked as DECPREACTED[1], and started going down deeper and deeper into the
proverbial rabbit hole.

Ruby 1.8.7 is no longer officially supported upstream as of the end of
June, 2013[2]

I would like to see 1.8.7 marked as DEPRECATED, sooner than later, so
the balance of ports can either be given the attention they need to
build with 1.9.x, or removed outright.  I propose setting the
EXPIRATION_DATE=3D2013-11-01 so the remainder of the cleanup can be
performed.

I have already commenced altering some dates for the removal of the
deprecated ports, to expire in unison with other removals [3] [4], and
will work down the list of dependencies until I have silenced rmport
enough to complete the job.

Thanks for your time and attention to the matter.

Thomas

[1] http://www.freshports.org/ports-deprecated.php
[2] https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2011/10/06/plans-for-1-8-7/
[3] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-ports-all/2013-September/030193.=