Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:32:12 -0400
From:      Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4GB dram

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, David Schwartz wrote:
> > It's desperately painful to debug this, because as far as I know the
> > only way to get any kernel to boot is to power down the machine,
> > physically
> > unplug one of the dimms, power up again, install new kernel, power down,
> > plug the dimm back in ...  If I could fit the kernel on a floppy the
> > debugging cycle would be much quicker, but it seems too big for that.
>
> 	Setting MAXMEM to 2Gb doesn't allow the kernel to boot? Perhaps there's
> something wrong with the way MAXMEM is implemented.
>
> 	DS

I believe that MAXMEM doesn't work the way it used to - I think the trouble
is that getmemsize() now has a nested loop, and the way it looks at
Maxmem/MAXMEM doesn't do much to break it out of the outer loop.

I would have to try another experiment to be 100% sure that this doesn't
work (earlier experiments were confused by the fact that 4 cpu's don't
work, so I'm trying to deal with 2 independent problems); and I've given
up the machine for now.  But I don't think it works.

Richard Cownie (tich@ma.ikos.com)